With the protocol Live High Train High maximum exposure to height is achieved. This will improve the sport performance at height, because the body gets used to performing with reduced oxygen concentration in the air.
Recommendations LHTH for athletes:
(source: Millet et al., 2010)
- The optimum height for living and / or training is between 1800 m and 2500 m
- The optimum duration for an altitude training seems to be 3 to 6 weeks
- Acclimatization (~ 1 week)
- Limit training volume from level by 10% to 20%. Gradually increase the training volume over the duration of the height training period by 3-5% per week. Some experienced athletes may be able to perform their sea level training volume at the end of the altitude training period.
- During interval blocks, the speed of the interval must be lower than that at sea level. This must be determined on an individual basis, but a safe starting point would be a reduction of 5-7%. Gradually increase the pace by 1% per week during the height training period
- During interval training, the duration of the rest period must be longer than at sea level. This must be determined on an individual basis, but a safe starting point would be to double the rest period. Gradually reduce the rest period by 2-3% per week for the duration of the altitude training period
Be sure to check out our products for the possibilities of height training at home.